This collection of new essays explores the relation between race and ethnicity and its social and political implications. Although much work has been done on the philosophy of race in the past century in the United States, the concept of ethnicity has only recently awoken the interest of American philosophers, and the relations between race and ethnicity remain largely unexamined.
The discussion is divided into two parts dealing, on the one hand, with the nature and the relation between race and ethnicity and, on the other, with the social consequences of the complex relations between them. Part I explores in particular the debated topic of racial and ethnic identities: Does it make sense to speak of racial and ethnic identities, and especially of black and Latino identities? And if it does make sense, how should these identities be conceptualized, and how are they related to gender? Part II examines how race and ethnicity have influenced the lot of some social groups in significant ways: How do racially defined institutions deal with racial assimilation? How do different conceptions of race and ethnicity influence public policy and various forms of racism? How can exploited racial and ethnic groups be effectively recognized? And what is the role of affect in social justice as dispensed by the courts?
eBook tags: race, ethnicity?, pdf, download, pdf, jorge j.e. gracia
- InfoHOT Race or Ethnicity? PDF download
- Race or Ethnicity?: PDF
- Race or Ethnicity? PDF - read online, download PDF ebook
- Race and Ethnicity in New York City, Volume 7 (Research in Urban Sociology)
- Sex And Race Vol. 1 Negro-Caucasian Race Mixing in All Ages And All Lands
- Earth History and Lost Civilizations (Explorer Race Series, Book 10) (Explorer Race Series, Book 10) (The Explorer Race)
- Creators and Friends (Explorer Race Series, Book 4) (The Explorer Race)
- Beyond Ethnicity